ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sener
Regular MemberPosts: 154Gear list
Like?
50 1.8 D and 1.4 D - Different Leagues?
Sep 5, 2012

Hello,

I've just moved from Pentax K-5 to Nikon D7k. My lenses in Pentax were FA* 85mm 1.4 and Sigma 30mm 1.4. But in Nikon I wanted to start slow and only buy a 50mm 1.8 D for it is cheap.

Before Pentax I was using a D90 with 85mm 1.8 D and 35mm 1.8 G. I may eventually go back to these lenses, but before that I wanted to try the 50mm focal length.

I mainly shoot street and don't like to get close to my subjects, so 85mm is doing fine for me.

I am not so much impressed with the 50 1.8 D performance so far. I use it mainly at f/2.5-2.8 and f/4, and sometimes f/2.2. I feel that this glass don't exploit the capabilities of the sensor inside the D7k. Because my low light photos are noisier than I expected (I shoot them in Neutral mode) and detail in f/2.5-2.8 is not satisfying.

I know this lens gives as much as what you pay for. I am planning a move to the 1.4 D, not for the extra little stop, but a leap in image quality. Do you think this is logical? Will this bring me a jump in image quality, or none of the above and just continue with the 1.8 D? I can just forget the 50s and go back to the 85 but I really want to try and see the 50 in street.

By the way I may be expecting too much from a cheap lens, since I am coming from lenses of a different class. I don't know. Confused. Opinions please

Nikon D90 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow