OM-D review after extensive use while traveling

Started Sep 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Bob_tracks
Regular MemberPosts: 221
Like?
Re: Some extra toughts
In reply to pvdk, Sep 5, 2012

Great commentary. Just this past weekend I was out camping. I went on a couple of hikes, and it was so nice to sling the lightweight OM-D over my neck rather than a heavier DSLR that I might have left behind.

Later, I went boating and took the camera along, setting it amongst some gear in the boat. While underway, our boat took a few big waves which splashed water over us and our gear. Fortunately, the OM-D wasn't hurt a bit.

I believe that the camera's splashproof feature is also a great feature...sometimes unexpectedly!

pvdk wrote:

Thanks for your replies. I'd like to add that the Olympus camera can handle a big deal of creativity. A lot of the settings can be altered according the photographer goal to achieve his results. To me this camera offers way enough possibilities to pursue my kind of shooting.

The small shortcomings are mostly linked to the smaller size of the body and some are typical for m43. But that didn't kept me from being creative and getting some nice shots.

I might end up selling my Leica 25mm f/1.4 since I use it hardly enough according the price I've paid. It is a fantastic lens but imho best for close-up portraits. The 45mm f/1.8 lens I will keep even it was also rarely used but will stay my portrait lens for now and for studio work. It's focus is not that close.

If top end IQ is not what you seek but you want a handy small system for travel, I would suggest the 12-50 and 40-150 combo. Bot equal in size and it makes a killer focal range for most work.

To me, the 12mm f/2 was the lens I ended up using 80% of my time. I love the quality and it's built very nice. Even with two ND filters screwed on (3+6 f-stop to get 9 f-stop) it performs outstanding.

Since most of my lenses have different size filter treats I found it most practical to buy a somewhat bigger size 52mm filters and use step down rings to put them on 46mm and 37mm treat lenses. One step up ring to 58 mm is used rarely for my 40-150 lens. No light fall off thanks to the glass being not larger than 50mm or somewhat.

So, to sum it all up: if you thinking of going from dslr to m43, don't be afraid to change. The IQ is on par with most non full frame dslr. A good deal of lenses are out there to get most things done. Best of all is the change in size and weight. When using dslr I never had the change to take 6 lenses, flash, tripod and laptop in a small bag. I ended up taking a very big backpack carrying over 15 kg's of gear. Not done for travel if you planning to do other stuff than taking pictures.

But m43 is ideal for travel of for portable use. It size and weight is the biggest plus you'll encounter. A few minor setbacks have to be taken into mind. To me that was: more difficult to isolate a subject not that close to the camera and a few ergonomic issues while using my camera in real life on the road. But knowing I came back with very good images that I could take in almost every occasion and location, those minor drawbacks I easily forgot.

I guess I'll stick with m43 for the time being. I hope tracking and continuous AF will improve and bracketing (hdr) will be more flexible in future firmware updates.

Hope this review and images help others to make up their minds.
--
Cheers, Phil.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow