Nikon 24mm f/1.4G vs. Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 vs. Nikon 16-35mm f/4G

Started Sep 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kyle Pozan
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 24mm f/1.4G vs. Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 vs. Nikon 16-35mm f/4G
In reply to Peter in Milton, Sep 5, 2012

Peter in Milton wrote:

I use all three lenses (Zeiss 21, Nikon 24, and 16-35) on my D800E. They all have weaknesses and strengths, and are quite different lenses with different uses – I like all three and have no significant issues (focus, distortion, etc) with any of them. If you are picking a prime, the 24 is more flexible for street and landscape work (and a lot else), but the Zeiss 21 is a very fine lens and I find such good tools make me want to go out and shoot so that I see what the world looks like with that lens. I would suggest forgetting the sharpness differences etc, and pick the lens that most suits the work you want to do, or alternately most inspires you to do some work. All the technical details are minor at this level.
Peter.

Well said. The more I think about it, the more I think the Nikon 24mm f/1.4G will be the right choice. I love landscape and cityscape photography, but I also love street photography. Yes, I have a nifty 50, but I like the 24mm focal length for tight street shots (i.e., the many narrow markets in Hong Kong).

Kyle Pozan's gear list:Kyle Pozan's gear list
Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow