Nikon 24mm f/1.4G vs. Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 vs. Nikon 16-35mm f/4G

Started Sep 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kyle Pozan
Junior MemberPosts: 29Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 24mm f/1.4G vs. Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 vs. Nikon 16-35mm f/4G
In reply to anotherMike, Sep 5, 2012

anotherMike wrote:

Don't read too deeply into the lensrentals tests - Roger himself stated that he only tested at one distance, and at mid range focal length when he made his famous D800 lens list.... it's a LONG way from being a fully fleshed out test.

The big, big key with the D800 is that it is now so revealing to distinctly distinguish between lens performance not only by aperture, corners vs center, and of course across models, but also by distance. The 14-24 is vastly superior to the 16-35 in some cases, and not in others. It depends on the combination of distance, focal length, of course aperture. In my tests of the 14-24 on a D800E, it's actually weak in the corners mostly at 24mm. It gets better by 20mm, but peaks at the lenses strong spot, which is right around 16mm, where it, from what I read, can even hang in the same neighborhood as the mighty Zeiss 15. It does have more corner issues that are exposed as you get closer to 24, and you'll definitely see these issues if you use this lens at, say, 24mm and focused at infinity. Focused on much closer objects, a bit less. Ultimately though, I look at the 14-24 now as a 14/16/18/20mm prime, mostly a 16 since it's really strong there, and something like the 16-35 or the 24/1.4 would be my choice for 24mm shooting. I do await the day Nikon (hopefully) releases an updated 20mm prime, but who knows if that will happen.

-m

The 14-24mm is definitely a beast of a lens. Still, with so many 77mm filters, I would hate to get a custom setup just for this lens. That's the other thing I can't get past with the 14-24mm.

Kyle Pozan's gear list:Kyle Pozan's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow