Can't decide on studio strobes (Australian buyer)

Started Sep 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ashdot1111
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?
Can't decide on studio strobes (Australian buyer)
Sep 5, 2012

Hello!

I am currently shooting with a few Nikon strobes and want to get a few studio strobes. Thinking 3/4 heads at this stage with a nice background for my double garage. Normally shoot portraits (not a lot of movement but want to have the ability to do that later on).

Also want to be able to shoot outside, so a powerpack is required down the track.

My main concerns, besides budget (around 4k Australian dollars), is colour/power consistency, recycle times and something that's not going to blow up when I push it too hard (I doubt I will push it too hard though...).

Here are a few of the models I've considered:

Elinchrome BXRi 500/500 (x2=4 heads)
Elinchrome RX 600s (get 3 heads initially and save up for another one)
Einstein 640 (3 heads and see how they go)
ProFoto D1 500 (get 2 and save up for more)

Don't like the Bowens' 300- + colour 'consistency'. Also not keen on 2nd hand.

The thing holding me back from the Elinchrome is that I haven't been able to read much about their colour consistency. They don't even advertise it. The Einstein basically looks too good to be true, plus I'm not sure whether they are worth the higher AUD asking price (about 1k for each head when you add softbox/stands etc). Nearing the price for a ProFoto. I'd go ProFoto if everyone loved the D1 systems, but I've read good/bad things which is kind of turning me off those.

I don't want to spend more than 4k just yet, as I am still trying to go easy on my savings to aid me getting a house down the track.

Thanks in advanced!

ashdot1111's gear list:ashdot1111's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +1 more
Nikon D1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow