A57 Images Are Soft!

Started Aug 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
hemi71cuda
Regular MemberPosts: 192Gear list
Like?
Re: @ Hemi71cuda:
In reply to Bart7D, Sep 5, 2012

Even if the eyes were in focus which they aren't, the hair on the forehead is within 1" of the eyes. If there is a depth of field of almost 8inches, why is nothing else on the face in focus? I don't accept that this is the kind of image I should expect.

Compare to this picture:

Almost identical specs 50mm, f5.6, ISO800, slightly slower shutter of 1/40th. Certainly all the same camera settings. I see noticeably sharper detail in the hand and hair than in the first pic I posted.

If it's a matter of making sure the AF is focused on what I want I will pay more attention to that in the future and maybe try setting it to spot focus instead of wide. But I can't find any part of the first photo that is in focus.

Also checked Style settings: Standard Cont+1 Sat+1 Sharp+3

Would turning on face detection help the autofocus prioritize getting the face in focus?

I really don't like using flash, i prefer more natural looking photos. I'll try using the built in flash with some kind of diffuser and see how it looks. It would certainly be nice to be able to use a lower ISO. I'm not looking to spend money on a dedicated flash or deal with having to carry it, mount it, wield it, etc.

hemi71cuda's gear list:hemi71cuda's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A57 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow