Alternatives to Dell Monitors for Photo Editing??

Started Sep 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AllOtherNamesTaken
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,286
Like?
Alternatives to Dell Monitors for Photo Editing??
Sep 4, 2012

Hi All,

I'm hoping to get a little guidance here. My Dell 24" 2407 WFP has been amazing over the past 5-6 years, not a single dead pixel, however the power button is starting to fail. I figure this is a good excuse to move up into the 27-30" range.

My immediate thought was to go order a Dell U2711 or 3011 however the anti-glare coating they use has completely turned me off of the current high-end Dell's (hopefully they fix this in the future). Unfortunate, because they are usually the best bang for the buck.

I am hesitant to spend a pile of money because my Dell 2407 with a $100 Huey color calibrator gives me prints that look exactly like they do on my monitor, so I don't feel like I would see the benefit from the really expensive stuff.

I have two main questions, please:

1) What monitors would you recommend 27-30" (2560X1440 or 2560X1600) for around $1000 give or take a bit? I cannot afford a $2500+ Eizo display, and I also play games, so I'm thinking 27" might be better than 30". I'm open to other brands like Samsung, HP, and Asus. Obviously it must be an IPS display with 8bit color.

2) Lots of IPS panels are now LED backlit. It is my understanding that many of them are actually too bright to be properly calibrated because of the LEDs. Is this true?

The NEC PA271 with Spectraview II is at the top of my list (Available for $1396 CAD), but that is more money than some 30" displays, so I'd love to find something cheaper. I really don't want to spend $1400 unless I have to (Dell 2711 is nearly half the price, but too bad for that damn AG coating). I am happy with software calibration (Huey), but open to anything.

Thanks in advance!!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow