Nikon 24mm f/1.4G vs. Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 vs. Nikon 16-35mm f/4G

Started Sep 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kyle Pozan
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 24mm f/1.4G vs. Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 vs. Nikon 16-35mm f/4G
In reply to Paul Richman, Sep 4, 2012

Paul Richman wrote:

I suggest you subscribe to Lloyd Chambers website. IMHO, his reviews are by far the most accurate and in-depth, and he covers both the lenses you're considering.

I've used the Zeiss 21 and it is a great lens. But, it does have a strong cyan cast in the corners, which requires extra work to eliminate.

While I too love primes (especially on my M9!), I prefer the Nikon 14-24mm for the range you are considering. Read Lloyd's review of that lens. He points out that it is a good as any of the Zeiss primes in that range, which is an amazing achievement for Nikon. However, it's big and heavy and not the lovely all metal construction of a Zeiss.
--
Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

1. I'm very jealous of your M9!

2. I considered the 14-24mm when I purchased the 16-35mm, but I chose the 16-35mm for a number of reasons: a more useful range (and VR for nighttime street photography), the ability to use standard filters and it's a sharper lens (hard to believe, but see for yourself: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/03/d800-lens-selection ). The 14-24mm is very soft in the corners.

What concerns me about the Zeiss 21mm is the mustache distortion, which can spell trouble for architecture photography, and its lack of AF for street photography. Although I started this process leaning toward the Zeiss 21mm, I am now leaning toward the Nikon 24mm.

Kyle Pozan's gear list:Kyle Pozan's gear list
Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow