G1X vs RX100 at 3200ISO

Started Aug 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,537Gear list
Like?
Lens, footprint etc
In reply to Clem Nichols, Sep 4, 2012

Clem Nichols wrote:

At present there is not, to my knowledge, a camera/lens combination with the same focal length with faster lens speed, better IQ, and a smaller "footprint" ( i.e. less overall volume) than the G1X. The Olympus 12-50 mm lens is f/3.5-6.3, and is huge relative to the G1X's retractable lens. Similarly, the Sony E 18-55mm with f/3.5-5.6. Granted, one can get the same coverage and probably better IQ by purchasing multiple lenses, but that's exactly what I don't want to do. For my purposes the overall size of the camera/lens combination is more important than the total weight.
--
CN

When I think of an excellent, versatile lens, I think of the lens on my Sony F828. Like RX100, it is a Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* that not only covers 28-200mm equivalent focal length but does so a maximum aperture range of f/2 (at wide angle) to f/2.8 (at max zoom). In fact, the lens itself carried the camera well enough that I didn’t feel the need to replace it with a DSLR until 2011. The old Sony F828 is now almost nine years old and still gets its field time.

The lens is tack sharp and delivers excellent bokeh (pretty good considering that the camera uses a 2/3 inch sensor). The fast and versatile zoom range makes the lens rather big for a camera like RX100 that is built for ultimate compactness. So, RX100 gets a still versatile 28-100 range, and with help of its high resolution sensor, and recent development around “Smart 2X Telecoverter” (Clear Image Zoom, as called in RX100), the reach extends to 28-200 anyway. As far as maximum aperture goes, it is great to see that Sony didn’t settle for a slower lens. In fact, the lens in the RX100 offers f/1.8 to f/2.8 for max aperture from 28mm thru 55mm, not as good as in F828, but better than f/3.5-f/5 one would get out of a DSLR kit zoom lens.

The lens in G1X isn’t fast and doesn’t really offer any more focal length versatility than the lens in RX100 (and that is before we consider Clear Image Zoom feature that RX100 can take advantage of).

At present there is not, to my knowledge, a camera/lens combination with the same focal length with faster lens speed, better IQ, and a smaller "footprint" ( i.e. less overall volume) than the G1X. The Olympus 12-50 mm lens is f/3.5-6.3, and is huge relative to the G1X's retractable lens. Similarly, the Sony E 18-55mm with f/3.5-5.6. Granted, one can get the same coverage and probably better IQ by purchasing multiple lenses, but that's exactly what I don't want to do. For my purposes the overall size of the camera/lens combination is more important than the total weight.

If footprint were important, RX100 wins by a HUGE margin. If it weren’t that important, why not consider NEX instead? Heck, if compactness weren't a key, one could also consider likes of A37. My A55 is quite compact too (compared to DSLRs anyway, including newer SLTs, A57 and up).

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow