RX100 "not so good for fast action shooters"?

Started Sep 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Senior MemberPosts: 8,973Gear list
Like?
Focusing Speed versus Fast/Slow Lens
In reply to aspiring, Sep 4, 2012

Something generally overlooked in this action photography debate is the importance of lens and how fast it is. More often than not, it isn’t just the inability to focus, but the failure to freeze the shot. A DSLR won’t help much if it has a slow lens. If a DSLR is equipped with a lens that has a maximum aperture of f/4.5 at 50mm (35mm equivalent), it would be at a disadvantage against a camera like RX100 which will give you f/2.8 at that speed (a 1.5 stop advantage). In that case, if RX100 requires ISO 800, the DSLR would require ISO 2200 for the same shutter speed.

I don’t think most cameras today are lacking in focusing speed for these action shots. In fact, my favorite approach to action photography is manual focusing! Where I find limited more often than not is lens speed, a reason I prefer prime lenses to zooms, and faster prime lenses to slower ones (not necessarily for macro photography but that is another subject).

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow