A Turing test for film and the nature of art.

Started Sep 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wb2trf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,385
Like?
A Turing test for film and the nature of art.
Sep 4, 2012

This post is about "Exhibition Review: 8x10 By Impossible", but I thought a threaded setting would be best for discussion.

Imagine a kind of "image Turing test" for digital vs. film images. The goal of a digital team is to create original digital images that, when printed on paper by whatever means is most conducive to their purpose, appear as if they were originally captured on film. The goal of the film team is to create new images that will differentiate film from the efforts of the digital team to deceive. Either team may process through whatever intermediate steps between source and print they choose. A observer team, blind to the origin, tries to separate the two sources. I believe that today in this sort of "Turing test" no observer team, whether experts or laymen, will be able to do better than random in guessing the source, if the digital team is adequately resourced with time and materials. Of course, some may argue this , but maybe my second claim will weaken their resolve to prevail in such an argument.

My second point is that even if it were proven beyond doubt that the image Turing test establishes that digital origin is undetectable, knowing the origin still matters to the impression of quality that the art makes on the observer. This second claim, in other words, is that not everything about the art's aesthetic is in the image that it makes on my retinas, so to speak. This second claim may be obvious to those involved in art but I think this approach to considering it is worthy of discussion. Potentially it could be extended to the larger claim that the "Impossible Project" even if the "image Turing test" is passed, is engaged in a worthwhile attempt on aesthetic grounds.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow