ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lita
Regular MemberPosts: 140
Like?
D800E-Focusing Screen Options?
Sep 4, 2012

Hi:

New owner of a D800E here. Coming mostly from the film world, Canon 5D (Mark 1, I can't bring myself to call a 7 year old camera "classic", although it is a good camera) and Sigma SD14. Besides, I am absolutely and irrevocably brand agnostic.

I have been doing a bit of research without too much success about the D800E focusing screen.

Maybe you can answer any of these questions:

1- Is the D800E focusing screen removable, and replaceable, by the user that is?

2- Does Nikon make and sell alternative(s) to the stock supplied one, if so which one(s).

3- Some time ago, I think I saw something on this forum about a company making such focusing screens, but it was in the $200.00 range. Has anybody tried any 3rd party focusing screen with success on the D800E.

4- I am a bit worried about all these new functions that work together with the focusing screen (like the horizon thing, for example) and wonder how correctly these would work with an alternative, especially 3rd party.

5- I noted if there is no battery present in the camera, the focusing screen is not usable at all. Anybody care to shed some light on this. Sorry to be such a newb in this regard (and many others, I suppose), but it is the first time I am seeing this and wonder if it is normal.

Yes, I have already purchased the Nikon DK-17M magnifying eyepiece and it made a substantial improvement; although for people wearing glasses it cuts the corners substantially. You guessed it, I prefer to use manual focus. I have not checked yet (after a month) if I have the "dreaded" autofocus issue, and I am not sure I will as I find the amount of concern over that issue a bit disconcerting, to put it diplomatically.

Thanks in advance for any answer.

Frank.

Canon EOS 5D Nikon D800E Sigma SD14
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow