Started Sep 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Accuemap
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Lightning photography suggestion.
Sep 4, 2012

I have a suggestion that might make it easier next time. I got into doing lightning up here in North Dakota this summer, makes it easier to see the horizon. I tested a couple ideas and then came up with a basic frame, leave the lens open. I adjust the aperture and ISO to to the levels that let me leave the shutter open for a time I decide on. Some times I'll leave it on for as long as 2 minutes if I can cut down the light pollution, and sure I could go longer if I wanted. Problem usually is the wind shakes the truck so it can cause blurring of the back ground scene. The lightning is pretty much a strobe so there isn't much problem there. If I don't get the shot I want I just delete it when I release the catch.

This even worked with some sun still out, thus 110 ISO, f 36, UV filter and polarized filter tossed in on top. Any thing to cut the amount of light reaching the sensor. It works but can cut the contrast of the lightning to the back ground if too much is used.

http://www.photoshop.com/users/accuemap/albums/d7601640b4c642eaa2f3f41888f3d41a/slideshow

The last ones weren't too great because the storms were too far off. Hope others will try it but stay safe ifyou do. I used a gorilla grip tripod over my drivers side door window of my truck so I was inside the whole time. No picture is worth getting hurt for.

Warren

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow