Lightroom Question - Move Pictures Between Catalogs

Started Sep 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Victor Engel
Forum ProPosts: 14,987Gear list
Like?
Re: Lightroom Question - Move Pictures Between Catalogs
In reply to CameraCarl, Sep 3, 2012

CameraCarl wrote:

Why do you need two catalogs? Lightroom can easily handle over 100,000 images. Many experts recommend keeping all your images in a single catalog unless you can cite specific reasons for needing multiple catalogs. If all you are trying to do is keep the aspect ratios consistent, why not use collections for this? It ought to be a lot faster and less hassle.

All my images are, in fact, in one catalog. Out of all those images, a selection of them will be getting special processing for display on my iPad. These images will have an aspect ratio applied to them to match the aspect ratio of the iPad. But I don't want to accidentally mess up any of the settings in the main catalog, hence my desire to process in a separate one. Don't tell me it's easy to avoid messing up some pictures. I've already done that and had to do extra work to undo it.

I also use collections quite a bit, but I'm unclear how collections would solve my problem.

Just to clarify, the very images in my new catalog for use on my iPad will also be in the main catalog with a different aspect ratio.

If you think there is a better way of doing this, please go into more detail on how you would manage the workflow. Using a separate catalog seems rather simple, to me, actually. But maybe I'm missing something. I've been using Lightroom for a couple years now, I guess, and it remains less than completely intuitive to me.
--

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow