Using X-S1 for product photography

Started Sep 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Billx08
Forum ProPosts: 11,373
Like?
Re: Using X-S1 for product photography
In reply to John.Laninga, Sep 3, 2012

John.Laninga wrote:

I decided to sell my Panny GH2 and lenses and concentrate on the X-S1. So I was taking some pictures of the gear for eBay use, and decided to compare the X-S1 with the GH2 and RX100. Nothing technical, nothing fancy. Just compare the different cameras in a simple everyday type of task.

Shown below are some comparisons. No heavy PP was performed, mainly some WB adjustments (light changed on me) and a little sizing crop here and there. Remember the X-S1 is 6M, the GH2 16M, and the RX100 20M. So what do you think?

Product photographers usually shoot with "pro" gear, sometimes including expensive tilt/shift lenses to increase depth of field, to prevent blurred products. Cameras that are good for eBay product photos have greatly reduced requirements and even old, low resolution P&S cameras can do just fine. What matters more than the cameras are techniques that make the products more appealing, that is, showing them in their best light, literally.

You don't have to spend hundreds of dollars on a light box because a little creativity with available lighting is usually sufficient to keep products from looking drab and boring. Here are some photos that I shot for forum replies, not for eBay. The first attempts didn't look too good so I played around adding light, not just from the built-in flash, but also positioning the subjects in relation to the main room light, and adding small but fairly powerful LED flashlights, propped on anything handy to keep them trained on the subjects. I sometimes also use cheap halogen shop lights because even a couple of Alien Bees would be way too expensive, at almost $400 for each Beginner Bee kit, and forget Elinchrome, at more than $2,000 each. You could also try shooting outdoors in subdued daylight (cloudy day or in the shade) with a white or colored towel for backdrop and the lenses raised slightly on a block that isn't seen by the camera, where the DoF allows the towel's features to be blurred into oblivion. It takes more effort to make mostly dark subjects like lenses look good. From what I recall, no PP was used other than cropping.

Edit: I just read the reply that you posted several minutes ago, so I'm sure that you know most (probably all) of this already. Good luck.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow