Started Sep 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Joseph T Lewis III
Senior MemberPosts: 1,579Gear list
Like?
Panasonic 14mm In Existing Light Question
Sep 3, 2012

I have an E-M5 with the Oly 12-50 lens and a Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 lens.

The 20mm is fast, but its effective focal length is pretty long at 40mm. The 12-50 is wider, but it's a fairly slow lens. What I'd like is a wide lens that is also relatively fast. I'm wondering if the Panasonic 14mm is "sufficiently faster" than the 12-50 to make it usable for shooting in natural light (such as in a museum)?

Stated another way, would you consider the difference between f/2.5 and f/3.5 to be significant enough to move you to buy the 14mm, if you were I? Or, would I better served to just use the 20mm, "zoom with my feet", and save the $$ for another lens? (By the way, there are currently several 14mm lenses available for under $200; that is what piqued my interest.)

I've Googled around, but all the posts seem to be slanted towards the wide angle benefits of the 14mm, and really didn't get into its low light capabilities as compared to the slower zoom.

Thanks to those who may see fit to share their opinions on this topic; I appreciate it.

PS. I love the 20mm and realize it's a great lens. I just wish it was wider.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Joseph T Lewis III's gear list:Joseph T Lewis III's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow