Can you show real difference 12 bit vs 14?

Started Sep 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Paul Liukas
Regular MemberPosts: 331Gear list
Like?
Can you show real difference 12 bit vs 14?
Sep 3, 2012

If anybody can see really big difference between JPG and RAW in any post here and real life examples, I never seen really obvious difference between 14 and 12 bit lose-less and lossy RAW images, only just that it has more colors, 2 bits more information, better quality, etc

does it really matter these bits for real life correctly exposed (not 2-5 stops) images?

I made some tests myself (over and under exposed) and cannot see any difference on d800 neither d700.

Can you share your experience with samples (maybe i am doing something wrong) is it worth these 14 bits (not only that it have 2 bits of something more). Please do not post any of these millions of colors and numbers Just real usable examples and your experience.

Now I have over 1000 photos on my 16 GB card with d700 and 12 bit lossy compressed. Absolutely satisfied with the quality of regular photos. But maybe I am missing something I don't know.

Thank you for your advices and any info you have.

Just sample of 12 bit lossy compressed...

Paul Liukas's gear list:Paul Liukas's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +4 more
Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow