Can you show real difference 12 bit vs 14?

Started Sep 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Paul Liukas
Paul Liukas Regular Member • Posts: 349
Can you show real difference 12 bit vs 14?

If anybody can see really big difference between JPG and RAW in any post here and real life examples, I never seen really obvious difference between 14 and 12 bit lose-less and lossy RAW images, only just that it has more colors, 2 bits more information, better quality, etc

does it really matter these bits for real life correctly exposed (not 2-5 stops) images?

I made some tests myself (over and under exposed) and cannot see any difference on d800 neither d700.

Can you share your experience with samples (maybe i am doing something wrong) is it worth these 14 bits (not only that it have 2 bits of something more). Please do not post any of these millions of colors and numbers Just real usable examples and your experience.

Now I have over 1000 photos on my 16 GB card with d700 and 12 bit lossy compressed. Absolutely satisfied with the quality of regular photos. But maybe I am missing something I don't know.

Thank you for your advices and any info you have.

Just sample of 12 bit lossy compressed...

Paul Liukas's gear list:Paul Liukas's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +6 more
Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow