Are Sony E-Mount lenses all that bad?

Started Aug 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
Marvin Doering
Senior MemberPosts: 1,572Gear list
Like?
Not bad. Just not enough choice.
In reply to captura, Sep 3, 2012

I like the NEX-7 and use mine for simple snapshots. Unfortunately, there is no telephoto available above 200 mm except in the A mount. Sony, I assume for size reasons, chose not to put IBIS in the NEX series but did put it in the A series. Therefore, even with an adapter to use the A series lenses on the NEX-7 I lose any stabilization assist which is a particularly grievous problem with the longer lenses. I also use an OM-N which does have the IBIS but the only long lens they offer is very expensive. It sounds silly but I ended up buying the A57 to use with a 70-300 Tamron lens and 90mm Tamron macro lens in A mount. Likewise I use it with the 35mm 1.8 and 50mm 1.4 A mount lenses since, again, they have no imasge stabilization when used with the NEX-7. That leaves only the NEX series, slow lenses, to use on the NEX-7. I also have a 12mm, Voigtlander, which works well enough with the NEX-7, due to the exteme DOF that it offers. It, too, is very slow.
--
MRD

Marvin Doering's gear list:Marvin Doering's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus E-620 Nikon D7100 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow