RX100 as primary camera on the Oregon Coast

Started Sep 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
scared_of_the_dark
Regular MemberPosts: 256Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 as primary camera on the Oregon Coast
In reply to prospiracy, Sep 3, 2012

A few immediate thoughts:

• As I was traveling, I switched to shooting RAW + JPG. Adobe Lightroom 4.2 RC now supports it and I've never had a problem with using their RC versions to process. I prefer this a lot over the JPG output

• Buy the fastest SD card you can. I'd rather have a super fast 16GB card than a 32GB slower one. I get the Extreme Pro (rated up to 95mb/s) from San Disk and while I don't find it necessarily does a ton for shot to shot times, it's the general operation of the camera that I find much faster

• The AF is great on the camera with the exception of trouble focusing on purely horizontal lines (e.g. a horizon). Even where there is sufficient contrast. I figure this has something to do with the cross type of sensor as you can easily fix this by either finding a nearby area of contrast with a vertical aspect, or by rotating the camera, prefocusing and then returning back to landscape orientation.

• I always use the video record mode for video (rather than pressing the easier-to-access record button when in A mode for example). This is the video mode that gives you control over aperture, etc. It also shows the framing in 16:9 so it's easier to compose.

• I did change the settings on the camera a fair bit - mostly to do with the control, getting easier access to manual focus, etc. I'll post these later.

In the meantime, more shots:

-- hide signature --

Lawrence Ripsher
blog: http://www.lawrenceripsher.com

scared_of_the_dark's gear list:scared_of_the_dark's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow