Started Sep 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jaggedhorizon
Regular MemberPosts: 113
Like?
Thinking of changing from Olympus to Pentax (K5) - advice needed
Sep 3, 2012

I currently have an E510 with the double kit lens (14-42 and 40-150), to which I've added a 9-18mm.

I've been unhappy with the DR of the E510 for a long time, to the extent that I didn't take it with me on many trips. I missed the E620 or E-30 upgrade and now it feels that it's way too late to upgrade to a 2-3 year old body. And 4/3 is not coming out with any new ones.

Micro 4/3 is interesting but I would really want better AF for moving subjects (not the BEST, but better than contrast-detect).

So I'm thinking of Pentax and the K-5 (or possibly the Nikon D7000, which right now is about the same price in Belgium). This is an attempt to re-kindle a more creative photography habit...(as a child I had "built up" a whole manual B&W and then colour lab together with my Dad, so went through all the learning steps...and then I became a snapshooter).

I photograph a bit of everything with more emphasis on landscapes, skiing and street. What I'm looking for:

• better DR better DR better DR

• weather resistance: I'm likely to take the camera skiing and hiking.

• good AF for moving skiers (I don't expect the quality of the top Canon / Nikon sport-oriented bodies)

• compactness...to the extent possible, I know I'm getting a DSLR

• lenses that would be comparable to the Oly upgrade path (e.g. the Zuiko 12-50 2.8-4)...any suggestions here?

-decent JPG engine...I know PP from RAW is best, but there are times when I just want to run pics through Auto everything.

What I'll miss: self-sensor cleaning, more compact lenses.

any thoughts? In particular about lenses and a comparison with the D7000.
Thanks!

Nikon D7000 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-620 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow