FZ200 and GH2

Started Sep 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
jcuknz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,991Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ200 and GH2
In reply to richarddd, Sep 3, 2012

I came to to M4/3 from the FZ50 because I always shot at 100 ISO and didn't like the idea of an f/5.6 lens... the reach I already had with my Raynox 2020 at about f/4.5. Plus the dreadful tromboning of the super-zooms. [ Actually the laugh is on me because both the 14-42 and 14-140 trombone ]

I picked the G3 and the immediate delight with that camera was the very small focusing area [ if you want it and I lapped it up ] sadly the GH2 just has the 'normal' focusing area which seems incredibly large and imprecise after the G3. Against that are all the controls on the camera that on the G3 are largely in the menu. I have never been interested in manual focusing as an archaic relic of film days.

I started with the 14-42 but quickly realised I needed the 014140 to simulate as best I could find that of the FZ50 ... actually the range is similar to my ancient Nikon 5700 with 280 at the long end [ or near 500mm with my TCON x1.7 ] but 28 instead of 35 at the wide end. The 014140 is now on the GH2 ... I may buy other lenses but I doubt it at the moment. The larger sensor of M4/3 doubles at least the effective focal length of any lens I use when compared to a bridge camera after cropping in editing.

Good as I am sure the FZ200 is, it is Panasonic after all, I think the bridge camera is heading for extinction as the P&S is giving way to the cellphone. M4/3 with a reasonable long zoom is the solution. A 014140 f/2.8 constant would be nice ... like the FZ20 Pany did it once why not again?

jcuknz's gear list:jcuknz's gear list
Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow