RX100 - very impressed with DXO Optics

Started Sep 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
nboyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,996Gear list
Like?
+1...
In reply to FocalPoint_L, Sep 2, 2012

This is SPOT-ON with my observation between Lightroom and DxO. I much prefer the workflow and UI of Lightroom, but it seems to me that DxO may work better with the RX100 raw files than LR. I'm really on the fence whether to buy 'yet another' raw converter. LR has been my converter of choice, but... Cheers! -Norm

FocalPoint_L wrote:

Sorry--the above post got truncated. Here's the rest:

My tests -- so far -- based mostly on low ISO sharpness showed:

1. That the Sony JPEGs are pretty darn good and there is little to gain using ACR to pull out more detail. This surprised me.

2. While this "release candidate" ACR knows the basic "op codes" to correct for the large barrel distortion at wide angle, it doesn't seem to have the fine, lens-based corrections to maximize the results and the edges are softer than the OOC JPEGs. It does have this feature for many other camera/lens combinations.

3. The latest version of DxO really "knows" the lens/sensor and corrects for the problems much better than ACR. It applies proportionally more sharpening nearer the edges than the center. I prefer the user interface of ACR and Photoshop compared to DxO, however.

4. It's possible that the final release of ACR/Lightroom will have a fuller set of lens corrections and do a better Raw conversion for the RX100, but this may not be the case.

LR

nboyer's gear list:nboyer's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix A Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica M8.2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow