E-M5 or G5

Started Sep 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,780Gear list
Like?
Re: E-M5 or G5
In reply to Jorginho, Sep 2, 2012

Jorginho wrote:

Well, as I have the Gh2 which has the same sensor as the G5 but it is not crippled, I can say that using LR4.x with it made the same cam so much more fun to use. The Silkypix software or LR3.x just cannot get most out of that sensor! I have really no complaints about noise or DR with the cam. Having said that, the OM-D is about 1 stop better everstill in both DR and high ISO department.

The multiaspect sensor is very nice too. I had a G1 first and never expected m to like it, but I do not want to miss it anymore now.

The swiveling screen is another nice advantage I think over OM-D.

What I find very nice to the G5 is the electronic shutter, even only in RAW. Electronic shutters do not wear out...

Above all, electronic shutters cause no mechanical shock or vibration. Although I am generally satisfied with my E-M5 it does have problems with shutter shock causing blurred pictures with certain lenses at certain shutter speeds. Presumably, other MFT cameras have such issues too (the GX1 appears to be a case in point and I have seen reports suggesting that the GH2 is not unaffected either) but I have found reasons to take a particularly careful look at how the E-M5 behaves in this regard.

Personally, I do like the weep panorama and HDR function they have put into the G5 A usefull and welcome addition.

But if you buy a G5, get LR4.x once it has an update for the G5. With a few clicks you have got a much better picture.

Finally in my view, with your kind of shooting you cannot go wrong with either cam. And if IQ is really the top priority I would go for the OM-D...

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow