Started Sep 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DaleFranks
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
More FZ200 Testing
Sep 2, 2012

All of the shots below were taken in RAW, and converted with SilkyPix with no correction. All were shot with aperture priority at ISO 100. They were all shot without a tripod, or anything else. No polarization filter either. Just quick, hand-held snaps.

Test Shot 1 is taken at the FZ200's widest angle. Here's the full image:

One thing I notice in this image is that there's some fisheye stuff happening, distorting the edges of the image. Lots of purple fringing, too. Here's a portion of the above image zoomed to 100%:

Now here is a series from the first image above, zoomed in at 100% at different f-stops.

f2.0:

f4.0:

f5.6:

f8.0:

Next, I zoomed in all the way for the second series, too see the image quality at full magnification. Here's the actual photo:

Now, once again, here's the 100% crop at different apertures.

f2.0:

f4.0:

f5.6:

f8.0:

It softens out a lot a f8.0. It looks like somewhere around f4.0 is the sweet spot of this system, at least at full zoom.

The zoom capability kicks butt, though. I like that a lot. For a walking-around camera that I can stuff into the tailbag on my motorcycle and just hit the road, it's pretty good. I love the ability to shoot stills and HD video.

I tried some low-light video video using manual settings last night. It has some autofocus problems in low light, which isn't unexpected, but the video quality is surprisingly good. It's almost as good as my AG-HMC-40 video camera, for about 1/4 the price. I'd have no problem using it to shoot B-roll on an event assignment, especially since I can mount a shotgun mike and an LED panel on it.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow