Started Sep 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gary stepic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,231Gear list
Like?
First time giving D300s a test - football game slideshow
Sep 2, 2012

I just sold my 7D and my conversion to Nikon is complete. The D800 was a huge factor in making the switch, I was just a lot more excited about getting that camera as opposed to upgrading my 5DM2 to the M3. I liked my 7D for sports and hated to go from 18 mp to 12.

After saying that I am pleased with the D300s. I used the 1.4 converter with the 70-200 2.8vr. I normally shoot raw and run a sharping action on the converted jpgs, but for this gallery i shot jpg and used the in camera sharpening. Some are a little soft and probably could have used a little more post work, but I was in a hurry and wanted to post the gallery on our sports fan site. Here is the slideshow -

http://garystepicphotography.zenfolio.com/p605901222/h0/slideshow?customize=2

I was really pleased how the camera focused. My guess is it would be tad better without using the teleconverter. I normally use a monopod but didn't for this game and some softness may be due to camera movement.

I read with interest all the threads about the rumored D400. I admit I would love a little more resolution for cropping and a slightly faster frame rate would be nice, and of course better high iso performance would be icing on the cake, but after using the D300s I can be patient because it will get the job done.

I am curious about actual detail difference between 7D and D300s. Is the Nikon sensor slightly bigger which could mean the difference in detail may not be all that much. I have read a lot of reviews between the two cameras and it seems like not a clear winner either way, each having its own strengths and weaknesses. Bottom line for me is I am not going to miss my 7D that much.

Gary
--
http://www.garystepicphotography.com

gary stepic's gear list:gary stepic's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +3 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D300S Nikon D40 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow