Which Panasonic bridge camera for a safari in Africa?

Started Sep 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
NeillJ
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
Re: Which Panasonic bridge camera for a safari in Africa?
In reply to SwatOx, Sep 2, 2012

Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun (to quote Noel Coward).

Animals are most active around dawn and dusk when it is cooler so the FZ-200 with a faster lens would be the preferred camera if you budget allows. I have a FZ150 which was more than adequate in Namibia and Botswana. You will find that the long zoom is most useful at relatively short range as it allows frame filling shots of the relevant quarry rather than making animals in the very far distance appear only in the far distance.

Think about how you plan to view the results of your labour when you get home. If you plan to print the use the highest resolution. If you are like me and view the results almost exclusively on screen (either TV or PC) then HDTV resolution is good enough. 1920x1080 = 2.0736Mb so using a lower resolution lets you get more pictures on the card an allows the maximum zoom - 48x(?). I mostly use the 16:9 format (HDTV) at maximum resolution which results in 9Mp pictures - that way I hedge my bets and can make decent quality prints if needed.

NeillJ's gear list:NeillJ's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow