Started Sep 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Arash31
Regular MemberPosts: 150
Like?
D800E finally arrived...Upgrade from DX Lens recommendation
Sep 2, 2012

Hi, after month of waiting, my D800E finally arrived...I upgraded from D7000. Have done some unscientific initial tests and I am very impressed...primarily around the better Auto White balance as well as it's low light performance...and of course the high res and sharpness.

The pictures at higher ISO are not even comparable with the D7000....in any case, now is time to switch some lenses, and I was hoping to hear from people that have similar experience to me. Here is what I had:

D7000
Nikon 50mm 1.4 AF-S
Nikon 35mm DX (which i didn't really use)
Nikon 105mm VR

Nikon 10-24mm (which i used for landscape and realestate photography (indoor) and wasn't too happy with it's performance.
Nikon 70-300mm (which was a very sharp Copy)
Nikon 18-200mm (which I took with me everywhere as I travel a lot)

I am a not a professional but an advance hobbyist. I use my equipment for

Landscape
Night photography (outdoor)
Indoor events/parties with low light
Portrait
Real-estate shots (indoors)
Lots of traveling

So now, my dilemma is if I should get the 28-300mm and whether or not it will be superior to my D7000 & 18-200 combo...I would hope that it is, but then again i have read so much mixed comments. I am one of those guys that ultimate sharpness is something that i can typically detect on the screen and I do care for...however, for general picture my 18-200 copy was pretty decent.

In addition to the above, these are the lenses that i am thinking of:

Nikon 14-24 or the 16-35mm VR....I like the 2.8 on the 14-24 because of my indoor needs, but been reading mixed reviews again

Nikon 24-70mm...I am not set on this, but i want a great indoor/party and portrait lens to complement all my other stuff. It would have been nice to have the VR on this because of the weight and I wonder if one is in the works. but regardless so in total I am considering the above three...any thoughts from people that have experience with a similar issue is appreciated.

As a side note...what does the 14, 24 and 28 on FX equal to on DX? is 28 basically exactly view as about 19 on my 18-200?

Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow