I think this is a NO NO...sorry

Started Aug 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
SirSeth
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,679Gear list
Like?
Nice Mustangs
In reply to Debby Peters, Sep 2, 2012

The composition on the second is especially pleasing to me. Looks like the lighting was pretty flat, but it's still a wild and barren scene that just fits the subject.

Debby, you may have picked up from the other thread that I shoot with an E-3 and have a bias towards Olympus. While that is true I actually shoot Canon and Nikon at work and own both Panasonic and Olympus Micro4/3rds bodies as well. Though you've chosen to keep both sets for now, I think it's still worth your time to check out the E-5 at some point in the future. I think you will be very pleasantly surprised at how advanced it is even compared with the 60D. One of my best friends has a 60D and I wouldn't trade my E-3 for it let alone an E-5. They are in a different class.

That said, I also think that buying time with a 55-250mm is a good plan. Things will look different when you are back in the workforce and with the march of mirrorless, it's not a bad time to wait and see. The speed of improvement between the first PEN and the E-M5 is astounding! My prediction is that Canon will hang on to DSLRs for a long time at the expense of more advanced mirrorless, but other companies will run over the technological horizon time and time again in short order.

In my opinion, there has never been a better time to own dual systems: DSLR and mirrorless. My discretionary budget is very small, and I often buy used, but when I buy lenses, I intend to use them for all they are worth. I have the 11-22mm, 14-54mm, 50-200mm, Tamron SP 300mm f2.8 and Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 for my E-1 and E-3. An E-PL2 and GH1 with kit lenses at work give me a totally different option (plus DSLRs by Nikon/Canon). I love the OVF, balance, heft, and AF of the DSLR, but the video, EVF, compact design of mirrorless has some distinct advantages too. My hope is that my Zuikos will someday be completely AF compatible with a Pro PEN. But I am guessing I'll still roll with an older DSLR and new mirrorless even then. An OM-D E-M7 with a couple of small primes and the ability to share my current Zuikos would be heavenly!

Best of luck and happy shooting.

Seth
--
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

-- hide signature --

wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

SirSeth's gear list:SirSeth's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow