Started Sep 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
em_dee_aitch
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,675
Like?
D800: How Nikon packs shipment to customer
Sep 2, 2012

Yesterday I got my re-repaired D800 back from Nikon's Melville service center. This is how some Nikon employee packed it for shipping:

See any potential problem with that?

Both ends of the bubble wrap roll were left open so that the camera was free to migrate from end to end of the box, lengthwise, during shipping.

UPS had crushed the corners of the box multiple times, and there is good evidence of it having been dropped very hard on end, like this shot here where the D800 body directly pierced the box due to the fact that there was absolutely nothing between the D800 and the box:

Here is where the camera cut its film wrap on impact:

Here is exactly how the roll was inserted into the box at the moment I opened it, with the camera clearly resting against the end of the box, without any protection in the lengthwise dimention:

I am electing not to even finish unwrapping the camera, because this level of abuse is unacceptable. The auto focus on this D800 might be magically perfect at this point, but I won't know, because the risk of hidden damage in an event like this is just too high. Have asked Nikon to take this one back...

Will keep you posted.

This will say a LOT about how Nikon sees its own responsibility/accountability toward its customers.

-- hide signature --

David Hill
http://www.sanfranciscoweddingphotographer.com
San Francisco & San Jose, CA | Austin, TX
Wedding Photographer and Apparent Gearhead

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SonyNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow