New 300mm f/4 IS L II likely

Started Aug 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
joger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,690Gear list
Like?
Re: I'm still using the original 300 f4L
In reply to Montana500, Sep 2, 2012

Montana500 wrote:

Most pbase images look softer to me. Could be compression. That said, I didn't notice anything wrong with the images.

Eh. I saw your images. I wouldn't say they are any better than what jed posted.

The 70-200 isn't very good for wildlife.

fine with me - as long as you are happy with your results every thing is fine with me

Everybody has a different taste - I guess you were referring to the artistically content and not to the technical quality

There is a huge difference in perceivable image quality between an f/2.8 lens with very shallow DOF and an f/4.0 lens - let alons the possibility to use f/5.6 at 600 mm.

and if you compare them by their mechanical aspects you'll see that they are not so much apart from each other - so why would I want to use a 300 f/4.0 lens when a 70-200 f/4.0 is optically as good and lighter, smaller and more compact.

IMHO the 300 mm f/4.0 is a lens that is (from the perspective of a FF shooter) completely unnecessary to overhaul these days except you are a crop format shooter.

I guess that's it in a nutshell.

300 mm on FF is not very long IMHO - sometimes not long enough for many interesting sujets.

-- hide signature --

isn’t it funny, a ship that leaks from the top

ISO 9000 definition of quality: 'Degree to which a set of inherent characteristic fulfills requirements'
I am the classic “Windows by Day, Mac by Night user'

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow