Joseph S Wisniewski
Forum ProPosts: 33,933Gear list
Like?
Helping the brand (part 1)
In reply to henning kraggerud, Sep 2, 2012

henning kraggerud wrote:

Joseph S Wisniewski wrote:

kraggerud wrote:

Well, it would always have to be a combination of camera and photographer.

And in quite a few situations Pentax gives different possibilties than other mounts.

The problem with that statement is that it is far too easy to turn around. You could write a

"different possibilities than other mounts" list for Nikon or Canon and it would be considerably longer than the Pentax list.

I totally agree those lists for Canon and Nikon would indeed be longer,and I have no problem with that either,if anyone at those forums feels like writing that.

The thing is, for the most part, they don't, and when they do, it's in response to an actual "what can your brand do" and there aren't overly contrived examples.

You keep making a big thing about that 55mm f1.4. It is a pale imitation of what you get with an 85mm f1.4 on a Nikon FF, let alone the 85mm f1.2 Canon.

Actually it is no imitation at all,

But it is. The lenses I mentioned have better image quality, and greater shallow DOF possibilities. Almost two stops greater, in the case of the Canon. For most people, that's the deciding factor. You keep coming back on water resistance, as if that's the be all and end all. I can put a rain jacket on a Nikon or Canon, easier than you can get that extra 1.5 or 2 stops out of the Pentax.

I for many years have told people that if Canon made a reasonable priced and sized weatherprotected body with IS in the body,I might indeed pay all the money for 50mm 1.2 and 85mm 1.2 II

But you know that's not going to happen, so it's a straw man. And is the 55mm Pentax on the WR list?

The Nikon and Canon have, in my opinion, anyway, something better than the "IS in the body", they have better high ISO ability. I have a lot more real-world problems with subject motion than camera shake, and higher ISO means higher shutter speeds, which kill subject motion, blurred passer-bys in the rain aside...

I own, and push hard, two Nikon tilt/shift lenses.

Great, I have used Nikon in the past and loved it, I switched to Pentax mainly because of inbody SR

I would never switch for that. I almost always turn off stabilization, either on bodies that have it, or lenses. Whether lens or body based, you can see the effects of image stabilization in the bokeh, and it's not pretty. I won't get into the math of it. Why take a 31mm or 77mm limited, with such nice bokeh, and then screw it all up with stabilization?

and lower weight for the system I wanted,but with parameters like Canon 85mm 1.2 I might reconsider weight issue to gain something else if they made a IS body.

Take a long look at your EXIF data, and see how many of your shots really need it. You might be surprised.

I use a Canon 5D II for macro, microscope, and astro photography because it has a vibration free electronic first curtain capability that Nikon, Pentax, and Oly can't match.

See so you also look for specifics, I use my favorite Pentax setup which I indeed keep talking about,because no other maker provide that and for me combination of WR SR and very fast lens is important ,and I do indeed all the time give get wonderful photo opportunities from that.

Well, describe a few, because, so far, all I have is your self portrait in the rain.

Those aren't hypothetical self portraits in the rain. Those are real examples of how I work, and things that ONLY Pentax can't do.

That's what happens when you try to make "only" lists: Pentax just doesn't stack up.

I dont know,but for me it seems like you are disagreeing a lot with things I have never said or written,but which it looks for me like you think I believe.

Possibly. Cross-language communication is never easy, and I applaud how well you're doing in English. A lot better, I'd bet, than I'd do in your language.

I have indeed chosen Pentax,bought it when K10 come out, because it gave me what I wanted,which at that point no other was even close to.

Same here, except I went K20.

Now we have more compainies providing systems I like,but I still prefer Pentax.

Other people have other preferences, I am fine with that. I just want to explore Pentax,so my thread about what pentax only can do has never said that Canon or Nikon didnt have even longer lists possible. You just argue as if I have said it.

I'm trying to understand your motives.

That helps with communication.

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008.

Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.

Ciao! Joseph

http://www.swissarmyfork.com

Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D100 +42 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow