Started Sep 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sooch2011
Regular MemberPosts: 155Gear list
Like?
D600 Sensor Quality
Sep 2, 2012

Not sure if I posted this in the proper forum, but here goes...

I currently own the D7000 and the Sony NEX-5N. I have been watching and study the rumored specs of the Nikon D600, and they are very appealing to me.

My question is, can there be a huge quality difference between two full frame sensors that are similar in megapixels? What I'm getting at is, in my archaic camera knowledge, I am lead to believe any and all full frame sensors are amazing compared to crop sensors in image quality and noise levels. Will the full frame sensor blow away the sensor in my D7000? I would assume it cannot be as fantastic as the one in the D$ and D800 ( I know those are different megapixels and also that those cameras cost more because of build quality and options) but I am talking strictly sensor performance and quality.

I am currently saving up for the Nikon 70-200mm 2.8, I have rented this lens and I love it and would/will be happy to own and use it, but now I am thinking about the D600 instead?

If I am not mistaken the NEX-5N I have has the same sensor as the D7000 (the D7000 is a Sony sensor) I like the D7000 far better because of the bigger body and of course the lovely lenses from Nikon. But I will say the NEX-5N is a little bit better on noise performance than the D7000. So that's what I'm wondering...will the D600 be way better than the D7000 in iq and noise, I shot a D3s and it blew me away with its performance, I would pick one up if I had the money. Can the D600 images get close to the D3s (talking just image quality)?

If so that to me would warrant a hold on the 70-200 and pull the trigger on the D600.

Also I have the Nikon battery grip for the D7000 (that cost 200.00) they are saying the D600 uses a very close if not almost exact D7000 body, it sure would be nice to just screw on the D7000 battery grip onto the D600, but something tells me Nikon would never let that happen.

Please chime in and tell me what you think, am I crazy? Do you agree? Even speculations are welcome:)

Thanks for your time.

Sooch2011's gear list:Sooch2011's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow