FZ200 - Enlargement limts?

Started Aug 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
VincentR
Regular MemberPosts: 124
Like?
Re: FZ200 - Enlargement limts?
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, Sep 2, 2012

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

I was just trying to say "all other things being equal". I didn't want to turn this particular thread into a Superzoom VS DSLR debate.

What I'm really trying to get at with my question is:

Based on the information in this thread about enlargements from Superzooms being acceptable is it reasonable for me to have a dream of someday selling my cropped and/or enlarged FZ150/FZ200 pictures on canvas at art fairs etc.

Someone I know does this with their DSLR photos.

I know I have a lot of technical knowledge, experience, and practice to gain before that day would come but I'm just trying to find out if superzoom cameras like the FZ150 are up to that kind of challenge.

-- hide signature --

Florida

How can it not be a Superzoom versus DSLR debate if you've asked the question whether the Superzoom is good enough for the purpose of selling enlarged prints at Art Fairs, whilst simultaneously admitting that DSLRs are good enough for such purposes?

There's a lot to be said for the argument that the camera doesn't matter. It's the guy behind the camera that takes the pictures. It wasn't so long ago that Canon released its first full-frame DSLR, the 1Ds that cost about $10,000. It had fewer pixels than the 12mp of the FZ200.

It's not the 12mp that is the limitation of the FZ200 but the sharpness of its lens and possibly, in certain circumstances, the intrusive noise which may be difficult to eliminate without further reducing sharpness, by at least some degree.

If a 12mp image is tack-sharp, it can be enlarged to almost any degree and still look sharp from an appropriate viewing distance. On the other hand, not all images need to be sharp, such as a landscape shot, taken through the early morning mist.

As I've mentioned before, each type of camera will have its strengths and weaknesses. If you can't afford a DSLR, or don't want to be encumbered by the weight and bulk of a DSLR with its separate lenses, or simply can't justify that additional expense even though you could in reality afford it, then my advise would be to exploit the strengths of the compact bridge camera rather than try to compete with the strengths of the DSLR.

However, in order to do that you may have to understand what the relative strengths are.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow