Started Sep 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mike earussi
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,684
Like?
SD1 vs Fuji 6x9
Sep 2, 2012

Was curious as to how well the SD1 held up to the best in medium format so I borrowed a Fuji 6x9 with the 90mm lens, loaded it with Velvia 50, and did a double shoot. They were shot about 15 minutes apart, the Fuji right before 9 am and the Sigma right after, which is why the Camera store sign is lit in the Sigma shot (the business opened at 9).

The Fuji was scanned at 4000 dpi on an Epson 700 flat bed and then reduced to match the full file size of the SD1 (using PS bicubic sharpener). The only lens I had to come close to the equivalent focal length of the 90mm lens was my Sigma 18-50 macro, which is why the images aren't an exact match in coverage, I had to make an educated mathematical estimate of the proper focal length for the Sigma, settling on 26mm. Because all I had was a zoom I expected the Fuji to be much better on the edge, but suprisingly the Sigma held up pretty well. Also, I did try to get the color of the Fuji to match the SD1 but the scan came out too blue so you might not want to consider color differences in your evaluation.

The results actually suprised me. There was no contest, even though the actual resolution is pretty much the same, the SD1 is much better overall, primarily because of the lack of noise. So if you shoot the SD1 shooting color slide is pretty much a waste of time.

No doubt results would have been better for the film if I'd had it drum scanned, but as I was actually trying to duplicate a "real world" situation if film proved to be noticeably superior to the SD1, that would have cost between $50-70 which is definitely not realistic for me.

As the full size files are quite large I'm only displaying the "snapshot" versions here, with links to the full size ones below each image. You're welcome to download and compare them together in PS. But for me the question is answered, and for both price and time wise, it's one I'm very happy about.

SD1

full size: http://www.pbase.com/mikeearussi/image/145771284

Fuji

full size: http://www.pbase.com/mikeearussi/image/145771283

Sigma SD1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow