RX100 "not so good for fast action shooters"?

Started Sep 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
andye53
Senior MemberPosts: 1,213Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 "not so good for fast action shooters"?
In reply to Jared Huntr, Sep 2, 2012

Jared Huntr wrote:

Those shots don't tell use anything because everything is in focus due to depth of field. A better test is a continuous series of shots of a dog or kid running or cycling towards the camera when the lens is zoomed out from wide where the background is distinctly unfocused from the subject. It's these types of shots that dSLRs and mirrorless cams like the Nikon 1 do effortlessly.

Most cameras these days have pretty good short shutter lag. It's accurate AF on moving targets that's the problem.

I was mainly referring to the fact that I can get use that kind of shutter speed in an interior space and got decent results. Keep in mind even at f1.8 it needed to go to ISO3200 to get a 1/300s shutter, so your typical 1/1.7" or 1/2.3" sensor compact camera will likely not get you sufficient speed to freeze that motion since typically ISO3200 is not very useable on those small sensor cameras, and not many have f1.8 aperture, so we're talking easily two stops (or more) in shutter speed difference.

As for keeper rate, I took couple hundred shots on that trip and most are keepers as far as AF accuracy is concerned, although admittedly I have not tested CAF tracking moving subjects. CAF is something I've almost never used. BTW most of those interior shots inside the arcade were not prefocused as I've almost always done in the past; I just press the shutter release all the way to freeze motion on those shots. The RX100's impressively quick AF and low shutter lag makes prefocusing unnecessary.

-- hide signature --

SONY TX1O | HX9Vee | NEX-FiveN

andye53's gear list:andye53's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 RX100 III NEX5R Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow