Started Sep 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
trevmar
Senior MemberPosts: 2,385
Like?
Fitting a DMW-FA1 Lens adapter to my LX7
Sep 2, 2012

The DMW-FA1 I bought from Japan just arrived, and I managed to install it.

I had previously tried unsuccessfully to remove the ring at the tip of the LX7 lens assembly, so I bought a friction cloth from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GG9UP4

cut a half-inch strip off one side to wrap around the barrel piece, and used the rest to apply pressure to the top of the curved ring, reversing the force exerted by the 800lb Gorilla on Panasonic's assembly lines who twists these things on in the first place...

The ring adapter collapses neatly into the barrel, and they provide a new lens cap to cover it (useless, no attachment point for a holding string)... Anyway, the camera sans lens-cap fits nicely into the pocket protector pouch my wife sewed up for me

With the one thick filter in place (second image) I couldn't notice any vignetting at full wide, f1.4, but with a second ND filter in place there is noticeable vignetting at full wide.

My 37mm circular polarizer worked just fine (it is standard depth in any case).

So there you have it - no reason Panny couldn't have shipped the camera with this ring, except that they get to charge you $49 for buying it as an accessory. Once bought, it doesn't get in the way, and works just fine -- as long as you screw on the filters when you need them, as they stick out a little from the lens body when the camera is turned off (no surprise at that). At least the filters don't catch on the side of the lens assembly when the lens retracts

now all I need is a firmware upgrade (or a hack) to get rid of the 30minute video limitation, and I will be a happy camper...

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow