Started Sep 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
DA 16-50 and DA 50-135 prices doubled - It's an outrage
Sep 2, 2012

Prices of two of the better SDM lenses have been almost doubled.

DA 50-135 Old price was $899 new price (are you seated) $1525.95.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/485184-USA/Pentax_21660_SMCP_DA_50_135mm_f_2_8_ED.html

DA 16-50 Old price was around $799. New Price $1424.95

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/485180-USA/Pentax_21650_SMCP_DA_16_50mm_f_2_8_ED.html

This is an outrage. I recently purchased a K-30, and several lenses. I was saving up for the 50-135, but I would never in a million years pay almost double the price. It's a good lens, but it doesn't even have a tripod collar. I don't know if Pentax thinks this is equivalent to a Nikon 70-200 2.8, but it is not. It is essentially a rebranded Tokina 50-135 (keep in mind the Tokina has a tripod collar). The previous price, $899 seems about right for such a lens. $1524, no way.

If any of the forum members find this new pricing to be as outrageous as I do please write to Pentax and let them know that we are not going to stand for it. I'm a huge fan of Pentax gear, but have absolutely no qualms about moving to Nikon if this becomes a trend (or if they don't correct this absurd price gauging for these two lenses).

Pentax APS-C as a system just became a whole lot less attractive to me. I feel badly that Ricoh / Pentax aren't doing as well as some of the other brands, but as a loyal user, I refuse to be soaked. Pentax hasn't updated their lenses in years, and the few lenses that are SDM, they are going to double the prices of. It's absolutely insane and frankly, bad business when competition is so high in the DSLR world.

Sorry for the rant, but I am not at all happy about this development.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Pentax K-30
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow