Started Sep 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
XeroJay
Contributing MemberPosts: 944Gear list
Like?
My 5DIII/1DX "invisible AF point" Work-around
Sep 1, 2012

Okay, so I've noticed that there are quite a few here still looking for a work-around while they wait for Canon for release an official work-around for the invisible AF point issue with the new AF module. I'm not even going to explain what the issue is; that's pointless. If you have it, you know it.

I've given this advice to quite a few here who have PM'd me and all have said it have done the trick, though I was hoping someone else would have shared it...I guess I'm just lazy

Anyhow, here is what I've found works for dark wedding receptions when I loose sight of the AF point for both the 1DX & 5DIII:

I have assigned the DOF priview button on the 5DIII, and all of the custom function buttons (around the lens mount) on the 1DX to function as "Spot Focus".

What does this do? Well, if I ever need to "find" the AF point, a quick tap of the button will cause the selected AF point to briefly light-up as I press the button. It's now pretty much second nature for me to use those buttons as AF-blinkers.

I know this won't benefit everyone, but so far I've been thanked by a handful of users here that have found this to be workable.

YMMV

XeroJay's gear list:XeroJay's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +7 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow