RX100 "not so good for fast action shooters"?

Started Sep 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
andye53
Senior MemberPosts: 1,229Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 "not so good for fast action shooters"?
In reply to aspiring, Sep 1, 2012

If you want a small pocketable camera, the RX100 is the fastest thing there is, as far as focusing speed and very low shutter lag. It feels faster than a NEX5N I sold after I bought the RX100. I took it to an indoor amusement park last week and got shots that would have been impossible with any other cameras I've ever owned (save DSLRs with fast lenses).

I don't know how fast your children are, but I was able to take plenty of shots like these two, froze motion inside this arcade with very difficult lighting. I used shutter priority at around 1/300 and just left the camera on auto ISO.

aspiring wrote:

After years of usage with middle-of-the-road compacts (typically Canon), we're wanting to upgrade to something smaller than a DSLR that will give us much higher stills IQ plus the ability to take good enough HD video that we can dispense with our old Sony mini DV camera. We were considering the new Panasonic FZ200, but then saw this new Sony RX100 which obviously lacks the 600m lens but seems to offer everything we need, but that the DPR review states that it's "not so good for fast action shooters". We have two young children who tend to move pretty fast whatever they do (!), so the ability to take action shots of them is a must. Being a complete amateur, can anyone please explain what it is about the RX100 camera that would make action shots "not so good"? The review doesn't explain why, but I'm keen to understand how much of a draw back this might be. Thanks in advance for any input.

-- hide signature --

SONY TX1O | HX9Vee | NEX-FiveN

andye53's gear list:andye53's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III NEX5R Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow