Started Sep 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bobby Handal
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,097Gear list
Like?
New flashgun..wow, the future is here
Sep 1, 2012

Well I just received a Genius x808 flash that I purchased in ebay for $215 or so , this flash is also known with other names.

The flash is not very powerful , it has a GN of 50 (the model I bought) but it has several very interesting things going for it:

a) it is small and very portable

b) you can fire from hot shoe (yes , hot shoe), you can fire with a built in radio (yes built in , and they send you the transmitter included in price) or you can fire through a variety of slave settings S1, S2, etc.

c) it uses either AC, AA batteries, and it also uses sony generic batteries, that alone it is awesome. You can also plug it to your cigarrete plug in your car and you can order an AC adapter. wow.

d) in addition to flash, it comes with an LED you can use as a guide light, and if you turn off flash, it comes also like with 8 LED's for video purposes. wow. No bulbs to worry about.

e) it comes with barn doors, a standard mount for umbrellas and lightstands adapter, etc etc.

I wish Nikon did something like this, I would love an SB1000 with ITTL and radio wireless, that uses the same batteries as the camera or your choice of AA or other power sources. And LED's what fun !!!

I don't know how long are they going to last, they look well built. The backlight LCD screen is quite nice. The flash has a rubberised finish touch to it, nice but worrysome with time that type of finish peels and looks like crap.

It seems perfect for a location strobe, a location LED movie light, quite nice. I am ordering another one.

Just wanted to share with fellow strobists, no affiliation at all.

Bobby Handal's gear list:Bobby Handal's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +47 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-S2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow