Started Aug 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,459
Like?
Re: Lighten up on old people
In reply to Leonard Migliore, Sep 1, 2012

Leonard Migliore wrote:

Graystar wrote:

Center Weighted metering is an obsolete metering mode. It was introduced with the Nikon F in 1959. Old people still like to use it, so I guess that's why Nikon keeps it. But it meters the entire frame, which usually make it difficult to determine an appropriate exposure compensation.

Centre weighted metering has a long and venerable history... a first attempt to meter a scene with single reading in such a way that it was self-compensating and not needing of manual compensation. As such it was a simple forerunner of today's sophisticated fully evaluative metering.

Considering how simple centre-weighted metering is..

-- hide signature --

(generally something like 80% of the reading from the central 20% of the frame, the other 20% of the reading coming from the peripheral 80% of the frame)--

... and how close it is to the all-over averaging type readings which proceeded it, it has a remarkable success rate...

... between 85 and 90% of shots on colour negative stocks being printable to a good standard of reproduction with just framing and clicking. This can be improved to better than 95% by framing without the darkest or brightest tone in shot, and locking that reading for a re-frame before shooting.... (still only one reading.)

Mostly people like what they are used to. I like centre weighted because I've used it for 45 years.. Also, I very rarely use spot metering, less than 1 in 5000 shots, estimated.
--
Regards,
Baz

"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow