Entry level vs pro (what makes them pro?)

Started Sep 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dylan Johnson
Regular MemberPosts: 143Gear list
Like?
Entry level vs pro (what makes them pro?)
Sep 1, 2012

I was thinking about this today while playing around with my Sony a57.

I was in futureshop the other day looking at the Canon 7d and was thinking about jumping ship (just because there is a ton more available on the used market for canon or nikon than sony) But I really thought about what makes the Canon 7d a "pro" camera, when my Sony a57 can do basically the same as the 7d can, and it seems to have better image quality, at half the price.

you can check specs and stuff here:
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_7D-vs-Sony-SLT-A57

The sony seems to have better better color depth, more dynamic range, better IQ, in body image stabilization, Phase detection for video auto focus, panorama images, 3d images, HDR images, flip out screen, larger view finder, shoots a lot faster at 12 frames per second at 8mp and the same as the 7d (8fps at full res), a lot higher ISO, larger sensor, and its half the price.

Now the 7d has a pentaprism view finder (not really sure what that means), its weather sealed, more available lenses, longer battery life, slightly lower noise at higher iso, only 1.9 higher mp than the a57, 19 focus points compared to the 15, and it shoots at 1/8000 of a second compaired to 1/4000 of a second.

Basically again, is the 7d worth double the price of the Sony a57? and Why is the a57 considered an entry level dslt, and the 7d considered a pro level dslr. To me they seem like the are very comparable cameras.

Sorry for the long post

Thanks!

Dylan Johnson's gear list:Dylan Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
Canon EOS 7D Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow