Need your suggestions and/help on salvaging RAW photos from a damged SDHC card.

Started Sep 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,145Gear list
Like?
Need your suggestions and/help on salvaging RAW photos from a damged SDHC card.
Sep 1, 2012

Hello all....

Hope all is well in your various corners of the world.

I had an issue today that I need some advice on. Was in the mountains of Asheville, NC yesterday, snapping some really nice Blueridge Parkway photos with my Panny GF-1. I had an A-Data 16 Gig SDHC card (class 10) in the camera and all was well for almost a year (since I got the card).

However, after turning off the camera for around 30 minutes, and then turning it back on again, I got an error message that said "error - insert memory card." OK I thought - something must be loose, so I opened the bottom, took out the memory card and re-inserted it and wallaaaaaa.....the same message "error - insert memory card" occurred.

So just to be safe, I took out that A-Data card and put it in 2 other cameras (an Olympus EP-2 and a Canon S100) and they also gave me the same message - "to insert the card - that was no card present." Now this is the second card that this problem occurred over with over the past year (the first card had no photos, so it was just a matter of sending it back to A-Data to get a new card). However, this new A-Data card referenced above has tons of photos on it. Needless to say, no more A-Data cards for me.

So here is my dilemma:

1. I have around 450 gorgeous photos (in RAW format) that I had taken over the past 48 hours on that A-Data 16 Gig card. Considering that no camera will recognize the card (although previously all was well), is there someway - via software (or whatever) - that I can salvage the photos I have on that card? Surely, in this day and age, there must be some method available via software (or else) to get those images back.

2. Will my chances be better on a card reader connected to a PC? And if the same scenario occurs - not being able to recognize the card (or the PC thinks no media is there), how can special recovery software help in getting past this initial recognition problem?

2. If not software, where should I look for a place to salvage the photos (where online or locally)? Just curious - as I live in the Raleigh, NC area.

Thanking you in advance....

-- hide signature --

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 Canon PowerShot G12 +25 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow