Started Aug 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RevsCam
Forum MemberPosts: 83Gear list
Like?
Review of the Brando Tactical Site
Aug 31, 2012

The FZ150 is the first new digital camera I've bought since the beginning of the superzoom wars and one of the things I wanted to do was capture birds, even in flight. But at full zoom it can be hard to center the camera on a fast moving bird. So I decided to try a red-dot tactical type sight.

Brando gadgets (gadget.brando.com) sells one. This is a Chinese site that sells fairly inexpensive gadgets out of Hong Kong. They sell basically a red-dot sight used for firearms mounted to a hot-shoe adapted to a Weaver rail. I decided to give it a try.

I'm not all that happy with it. The sight itself looks reasonably well made, and robust enough for a real firearm. It can be set to either red or green, and there are 4 choices for the reticule. It has three brightness settings and is plenty bright for a sunny day.

The quality issue is with how they mounted the Weaver rail to the hot-shoe adapter. The adapter has two screws but if you notice in the photo, only one of them is engaged. The one in the back is off the edge of the Weaver rail, screwed in at an angle so that only the edge of the head is barely contacting the rail. The result is the rail rotates easily from left to right. With the slightest bump, you'll be shooting nothing but blue sky.

So I don't recommend it. As an alternative, Photosolve sells a rail adapted to a hot-shoe, that looks to be of better quality (but they are out of stock). Get that and find a red-dot sight somewhere else. Meanwhile, I think I might be able to drill a couple of new holes in the rail, and make room for new screw heads with a Mototool.

RevsCam's gear list:RevsCam's gear list
Olympus C-7000 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow