ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tashmooflats
Regular MemberPosts: 116
Like?
Dust Under the Focusing Screen 5D3
Aug 31, 2012

Hey there,

My 6 month old 5D3 now has a small spec in the viewfinder and...

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING...

1- It is not on the mirror.
2- It is not on the bottom of the focusing screen.
3- It is not on the eyecup area.
4- I am not referring to sensor dust.
5- I do not wear glasses.

It appears to be on top or inside the prisim facing side of the focusing screen or wedged somewhere into the pentaprism. It is very dark and very small and obviously does not show up on any images.

I noticed when purchasing this camera that many out-of-the-box 5D3's had some sort of specs in their viewfinder as well. They appear almost as if the black felt-like material used inside these cameras drops a piece down. I've read the recent thread of 1DX users with similar issues.

My questions are...

1- Has anyone ever successfully cleaned a spec like this from inside the viewfinder area?

2- Has anyone ever had a spec like this work itself free and disappear over time?
3- Has anyone ever removed the focusing screen on the 5D3?

And finally...

Does any of this even matter, and should I just ignore it since it's going to be more at risk on a UPS truck back to Canon for cleaning? Is it really worth sending it in for this and is it inevitable for more specs to appear?

Many thanks in advance!

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow