Studio Flash/Strobes-Why?

Started Aug 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
ptl-2010
Regular MemberPosts: 274Gear list
Like?
Re: Studio Flash/Strobes-Why?
In reply to TempusFugit2012, Aug 31, 2012

TempusFugit2012 wrote:

So my questions are why does it seem that the use of flashes/strobes in studio photography is the standard practice? What is the advantage to using flashes? What are the disadvantages to using my tungsten set alone?

A flash is better for many reasons. First off, constant lighting can get very hot, and requires a lot of power. I have a set of 4 1000w lowel lights we use for outdoor lighting sometimes, and it's amazing how much heat it can add to an area. Flashes are only lit up for a split second, so they don't generate as much heat and don't require as much power.

They are also smaller and easier to carry around, and have adjustable power levels where most basic video lights do not.

You can certainly use your current light set for photography, but flashes and strobes are the way to go if you plan on investing in a lighting system.

-- hide signature --

-Paul

ptl-2010's gear list:ptl-2010's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow