Started Aug 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hiro_pro
Regular MemberPosts: 257Gear list
Like?
Refillable Cartridges for R3000
Aug 31, 2012

I just bought an Epson R3000 to replace a dying R1800. When I bought it I went ahead a picked up a second set of cartridges for a grand total of $1,000,000 (slight sarcasm). I am getting a little frustrated with how much I am spending on ink and saw some posts here about third party refillable cartridges. I am starting to warm to the idea of refilling my cartridges so I had a few questions:

1. I am a hobbyist. I print in spurts. I may print 20 or 30 prints one weekend and then nothing for two weeks. I print everything from 8.5 x 11 to 13 x 19 and prefer fine art paper to glossy though I use both. I mainly use Red River Aurora and Artic Polar and Ilford green box stuff. My wife is in school and has to print about 100 pages a week. There are a lot of color PowerPoint’s and such. But again there are times when we don’t print for a week or two.

The last time I bought off brand cartridges they seemed to dry up a lot faster than the genuine Epson cartridges. I ended up spending more time and effort cleaning the printer than printing. So do I print enough to justify using third party refillable cartridges? Or has the technology improved enough that it no longer matters?

2. I now own two sets of Epson cartridges. Can I refill these or am I better off using a cartridge designed to be refilled?

3. I don’t think I print enough that I need to worry about who is the absolute cheapest. Using refillables would save me enough money. I am more concerned about quality. Considering how much I print, what would be the best quality option for me? I saw some references to John Cone and looked at his 110 ml kit.

I have not messed with refillable cartridges before so If I missed something please let me know.

-- hide signature --

d7000
tamron 17-50 f2.8
sigma 70-200 f2.8

hiro_pro's gear list:hiro_pro's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow