ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chris J Newman
Forum MemberPosts: 75
Like?
X10 orbs and RAW processing
Aug 31, 2012

Hi,

I want to buy a compact camera for use when it is not practical to carry my DSLR outfit. In common, I guess, with most other “baby boomers” who are not short-sighted, without reading glasses my eyes can no longer focus on fine detail like that shown on a camera monitor. So I want a camera I can use primarily through its viewfinder.

The only reasonably small non-point-and-shoot cameras with viewfinders I can find are the Canon G12, Nikon P7100 and FujiFilm X10. (I would be grateful to hear of any others!) Of these, the X10 has the largest sensor and the fastest lens, it is the lightest, and it has the advantage of a manual zoom control. It is also reputed to have the best viewfinder, and has been awarded Amateur Photographer’s “Enthusiast compact camera of 2012”. This suggests that if I like its handling, it would probably be the best of the bunch. But I do have a couple of concerns about it.

Problems with bright pinpoints forming “orbs” were reported with early models. Changes to the sensor are said to have fixed this. But is it possible to check, for instance by serial number, whether a camera on sale has the later sensor type rather than being old stock?

Also, DPReview ( http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x10/8 ) reported that the resolution of images processed from RAW files from EXR sensors by current software packages is inferior to in-camera processing. Is it possible to copy raw image files from computer back into the camera for later editing? (Although I don’t relish editing them without a keyboard and large monitor!)

With thaks in advance,
Chris Newman

Canon PowerShot G12 Fujifilm X10 Nikon Coolpix P7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow