Started Aug 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
VinceC
Contributing MemberPosts: 859Gear list
Like?
Strange Question Re D3200
Aug 31, 2012

I am considering selling a 5D Mk2 & lenses and lenses and buying a D3200, with probably a 16-85 and 55-300.

The background is that I'm finding the 5D system just too bulky and heavy - it has to go in a rucksack to take it out. I dislocated a shoulder recently and on the other side have a trapped nerve, which occasionally flares up - so I'm sensitive to weight.

In the past I have had a D70, D80, and D90 (which I liked - sold the D90 to try full frame). I have also had a D200 and D300 - which I found too heavy and bulky.

A couple of months ago I bought a NEX-7 and it can give some superb results - but I want to have access to a "proper" DSLR, partly pleasure of use and partly if I turn up to photograph a gig or event with the NEX-7 it will look like I've brought a toy!

I am very impressed with the 24 MP sensor that is in the NEX-7 - hence the D3200. The attraction is partly resolution, but the DR and flexibility of the RAW files, particularly regarding highlight and shadow recovery, are possibly more important. I also keep looking at the D700 - but it is quite heavy and for some reason I can't get excited about it (even though I should - having enjoyed a D70, 80 and 90).

My photography is mixed - some landscape, some travel, some low light (on and off tripod), family and friends, informal portraits, and I compete in a local camera club (where I long ago discovered that size/cost of a camera don't always have much to do with the results).

Has anyone made a change like the one I'm considering and have some views.
--
Best regards
Vince C

VinceC's gear list:VinceC's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +4 more
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D3200 Nikon D70 Nikon D700 Nikon D80 Nikon D90 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow