77mm 1.8 Limited - AF speed on K30 (or K5) in low light?

Started Aug 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MBT74
Forum MemberPosts: 54
Like?
77mm 1.8 Limited - AF speed on K30 (or K5) in low light?
Aug 31, 2012

I want a fast prime for concerts when the light is too poor. I'm using a K30 and have got the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 and with some of the venues I shoot at, I need to be able to go a bit faster to get more shutter speed (ISO already at 1600 - 6400). My other thought is that if I want to shoot at 2.8 I'm better off having a faster lens that will be sharper stopped down to f2.8 than one that starts at that f2.8 and will most likely be softer there.

Most of my favourite shots seem to be at either 50mm or 70mm (my flickr gallery will give you an idea of the concert photography I like - http://www.flickr.com/photos/77400111@N06/ ) so my plan is to add the Pentax 55m 1.4 and either the 77mm 1.8 limited or the Sigma 85mm 1.4

People complain about the 77mm having slow autofocus. How slow are we talking on the newest Pentax cameras in real world terms? Good enough for active band members on a dimly lit stage?

While we're at it, any opinions on choosing between the Pentax 77mm and the Sigma 85mm?

Part of me would love to try the 77mm Limited just because of the reputation but on the other hand, the Sigma has the quiet HSM. In the end, if the Limited isn't going to do the job I need in very low light I'm better off with the Sigma. Renting isn't an option where I live.

Thanks for your replies.

Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow